Sunday, December 30, 2012

Independently Yours

Is independence really all it’s cracked up to be?  I’ve been lauded as an independent woman for a long time, and while that is a nice compliment, it also makes me feel like I am independent of any one as well.  Yes, I get that is an inference I’m applying; these people mean no harm.  It’s just that I’m exactly 29 ½ years old, have a great job, and am terrifically independent.  However, I’m single.  And, being single at 29 is not the most ideal place to be.
Let me tell you why:
  • Selection:  The choice of guys has dwindled since you were in your young to mid-twenties.  This is due to guys getting married, having a baby mama, etc.  This brings me to my other point on this subject – kids.  It seems like at least 60% of single guys have kids.  What the hell?  Kids are cool.  I don’t have any of my own, but I adore my best friend’s daughter and would do anything for her.  That said, kids create a difference.  It does.  I’ve dated a man with kids.  He was a great father.  His schedule also revolved around his kids.  This is a good thing, but to someone who didn’t have those responsibilities, it certainly created a difference in our everyday lives.  At 29, you’d be surprised how many people have kids, an ex-wife, an entire other obligation.  I do not have an ex-husband or kids, and sometimes I can’t help but want someone who doesn’t either.
  • The Meet-Cute:  You know how in movies, the guy and the girl magically meet in the coffee shop because she got his order, they exchange a corny yet captivating moment, and attraction and magic and maybe a few mishaps lead to love?  Yeah, that doesn’t happen.  At least when I was younger (and before all my friends were married), going out was something I enjoyed doing.  Now, I like to do it.  Sometimes.  But, the idea of going out and being “on the prowl” isn’t enticing.  Am I going to meet anyone at home? No.  So, I have to go and I do.  But, still.  It’s not always a good time and the cheesy lines about where to meet guys never seem to apply to where I live. Grocery store?  Ha!  Library?  Keep ‘em coming.  Coffee shop?  I still need to manage the art of lingering to refine this one apparently.  The point is, it IS hard to meet people. 
  • Guys in the Modern Age: Technology has changed everything.  We are all entirely too connected, in my opinion.  And yet, I am just as guilty as the next gal.  I have a Facebook account and an iPhone, both of which I give me instant access to information, most of which I wouldn’t necessarily have access to, at least without some decent stalking.  In the past, dating someone meant not knowing their activity between dates or calls.  Now, though, you generally already are friends with the guy on Facebook or become so soon.  The access is instant.   You can see when he was last online, when he’s out with friends, and whatever he may have found funny that day.  The access is too much though.  It takes the learning curve out of the game.  This leads to text messaging.  I love texting.  I’m not going to complain about it. To me, phone calls seem personal.  I like them, but they are not necessary in the beginning.  Ask me out via text?   Sure, do it.  But don’t be lazy about contacting me just because you know we both have a cell phone and a shout out is just a couple of finger taps away.
  • Getting Away with It:  Sometimes being a girl just sucks.  It seems like no matter what the relationship is on the guy’s terms.  I may be a sadist, but, generally, when  a guy obsessively pursues me I don’t like it.  A little bit of a chase is nice.  But, where is the line between a little and a lot?  This is where I get myself in trouble.   It’s an easy line to cross.  I think in this easy age of communication, laid-back attitude and sexual freedom, drawing a line becomes like painting the Mona Lisa.  Very few can do it.  So, guys get away with it.  And, in this day and age, the expectations have been lowered.  Not to say all guys have been lowered in esteem, just that what society had created as dating standards went out the window the minute the booty text was invented.
  • Sex:  At 29, sex is something that I love.  It shouldn’t be a game.  Somehow, in the dating world it seems to have become one.  There is no right time to have sex.  Especially at this age.  My opinion is do what feels comfortable.  It can muddy water or it can clear the head or it can lead to something more or it can even lead to nothing at all.  Do it because you want to.  Don’t think twice about your decision afterwards. Hard sometimes? Yes.  But there’s no reason to feel bad about something you WANTED to do.
  • Playing Games:  I like games.  A round of HORSE on the basketball court, a game of cards, or even a go-round on the Wii.  However, when dating, games are something I could do without.  I just don’t get it.  I mentioned it with the hot and the cold comment earlier.  Why are guys like that?  Either way too in to it or overly laidback?  I’m a straight forward girl and the guessing game doesn’t do it for me.  I have a lack of patience when it comes to dating.  I need to learn patience, but damn it’s hard to do when you’re navigating the first few weeks of dating someone new.  Dating games seem the norm these days, though, so I better pick up a piece and learn the rules.
 

No comments: